If you have a property in SE Wisconsin where Emerald Ash Borer and other insects are feasting on your landscaping and trees, it may be time to hire an Arborist. A certified Arborist is specially trained in the art and science of tree care. They are abundantly experienced and have passed a comprehensive exam developed by some of the nation’s leading experts on tree care. But how do you know if you need an Arborist? And how do you select the best Arborist for the job? Here is a guide to help you get started.
What services do Arborists do?
Arborists provide a large variety of tree care services. Many of these things are tasks you could do on your own, but hiring a certified Arborist guarantees the safety of you and your trees. Services often include:
- Tree Trimming & Pruning – Proper pruning improves the health and appearance of trees. Removing weak and dead limbs also keeps the area around trees safe.
- Tree & Stump Removal – An arborist can help determine if or when a tree needs to be removed. And when the time comes to remove a tree, they can do it quickly and safely, especially after a storm. If trees fall on other trees or structures, hiring an Arborist is ideal because they know just how to remove trees safely without causing more damage.
- Tree Planting – The general health and growth of new trees gets a boost when being done by someone with certified skills and experience. They know how and when to fertilize trees for the best results. Local Arborists also know the soil and weather conditions we face in SE Wisconsin and how to plant trees that survive.
- Tree Health Management – The best way to help stressed, diseased or dying trees is to call an Arborist who can recommend the best treatment for your tree’s specific condition. They look for traces of insects and diseases, signs of under or over watering, and the potential need for mulch and/or fertilizer.
How to Hire an Arborist
When hiring an Arborist in SE Wisconsin, there are some things you should look into beyond good Google reviews and Better Business Bureau ratings.
- Check for professional memberships and certifications. For example, memberships in the the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) are key. And look for companies that have ISA Certified Arborists and Certified Treecare Safety Professionals (CTSP) on staff. Affiliations and certifications show a company’s dedication to staying up-to-date on the latest techniques and information.
- Ask for proof of insurance and licensing. Reputable companies carry personal and property damage to protect both you and themselves if accidents happen.
- Ask for references. Make sure they have done the type of work you need in the past with success. Be sure to follow up and talk to references too!
- Don’t hire someone who knocks on your door. Most reputable companies are too busy to solcit work this way. And if something seems very low cost or too good to be true – it definitely is! If you get a price well below other bids, toss it out for your own safety.
- Get a Written Quote or Contract. It’s best for all services to be drawn up in a contract. That provides clear communication. You will know what to expect and all costs upfront. Be sure it includes when the work will be completed, who is cleaning up, total price, and payment terms.
Call the Professional Tree Care People
At M&M Tree Care, we have been handling the tree care needs of SE Wisconsin since 1968. We have ISA Certified Arborists on staff and are committed to providing the highest level of service. We are also one of the few TCIA Accredited companies in Wisconsin. Please call us for a free estimate at 414-355-3420 or contact us online.
Share this Post