Why is tree trimming and pruning important? Trees are the ornaments of our yards, and homes for a variety of birds, squirrels and other critters. Trees embody growth and life, giving us peace, comfort, shade and shelter. When we take the care of trees seriously, we are preserving their beauty and protecting the creatures that call them “home.” Trimming may seem like a minor detail in the grand scheme of tree care, but it is more essential than you may think.
Types of Tree Trimming & Pruning
There are four main types of tree trimming:
- Fine Pruning: Removing small limbs to improve the tree’s appearance.
- Standard Pruning: Heavier cutting to enhance the tree’s branch structure.
- Hazard Trimming: For trees that pose safety concerns. Typically, branches that are two inches or more in diameter are removed.
- Crown Reduction Trimming: Removal of major branches, and should only be done when there is significant storm damage, dieback, or when branches interfere with power lines. In these cases, no more than one-third of the tree’s crown should be removed.
Benefits of Trimming Trees
Here are 6 benefits of tree trimming and pruning:
- Proper trimming improves tree health by eliminating dead or dying branches. These branches are often somewhat dangerous, so removing them reduces the risk of harm to your family and damage to your property. It also prevents further decay.
- Trimming improves the overall appearance and structure of the tree, which prevents the development of broad or weak branches. It also keeps limbs from growing with weak crotches, or even crossing each other and competing for space in the crown.
- Tree trimming increases sun exposure and air circulation throughout the tree and underlying landscape, which improves the tree’s overall health. (There is a condition known as sun-scald that affects leafless deciduous trees in the winter.)
- The pruning of fruit trees improves the size and quantity of the crop. Fruit trees should be pruned in later winter for shape and to expose the center of the tree to sunlight.
- Newly planted trees should be pruned to compensate for root loss and to begin training the tree for shape.
- Tree trimming and pruning can also open up your property and improve your view.
We are happy to take care of your tree trimming needs so give us a call at 414-206-5780 for a free estimate!
“Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.”– Kahlil Gebran